I decided to take a break this morning from sharing sketchbook pictures and share what else I’ve been working on.
Well, I’ve spent the last two days in Christmas ornament you-know-where. Saturday, I decided to start something I’ve been wanting to do for a while. I had found a tutorial for making patchwork stocking ornaments and thought “Hey this will be great!! I’ve got all the ‘ingredients’. I can make some gifts with what I’ve got!!”
The tutorial is from http://www.stumblesandstitches.blogspot.com. Its a great tutorial. I really like their website. Its just my version didn’t quite turn out like theirs. I don’t think I’ve got quite enough sewing experience yet.
I started with a pile of scraps.
I then cut pieces from the scraps, measuring at least 7 inches long. I sewed 3 or 4 pieces together. Ironed all the seams in the same direction, ironed on fusible interfacing, then using their pattern, cut out both sides of the stocking:
The instructions called for some batting, I had some so I cut out little stockings following the pattern.
Then I was supposed to use some ribbon or yarn to create a loop. I used some yarn I had. And so, I put both sides of the stocking together with a batting in the middle. I pinned all that (including the yarn) together. And then the ‘fun’ started.
As hard as I tried, I could not ‘make the turn’ in the toe of the stocking with the sewing machine. I tried and tried, I kept zooming past the end of the toe!! It’s funny now. Not so much then. I was so aggravated cause I had spend all that time sewing the strips together, ironing and cutting….
I swear I’m going to finish this. So instead of machine stitching around the edges of the stocking , I decided to hand stitch them together. It’s labor intensive but worth it cause I don’t want to give away stockings with stitching that zooms off the end!! haha.
The hand stitching…